Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get advice

This advice applies to Scotland

Find advice online 

Use the search box at the top of the page or select a topic from the menu to find advice online. 

Get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau 

If you’ve checked our online advice and need to speak to an adviser, you can:

Your local bureau might give advice by phone, email or in-person appointments.

You can check what information you should have with you when you get advice.

Tell the bureau about any language or access requirements you have and they'll do their best to accommodate them. 

Getting advice in BSL

Citizens Advice Bureaux use ContactSCOTLAND-BSL. This is a free interpretation service.

You can call an interpreter at ContactSCOTLAND directly, who will then speak to the bureau adviser, and act as an intermediary for you.

More information about how the Video Relay Interpreting Service works can be found on the Contact SCOTLAND-BSL website.

Get advice on specialist topics

Citizens Advice Scotland supports advice on some specialist topics.

Find out how to get advice on:

Help to apply for Universal Credit 

If you're applying for Universal Credit for the first time you can get help from an adviser.

If you want to speak to an adviser, you can:

Find out more about help to claim Universal Credit

Money advice

If you’re struggling to make your money last or are worried about how you’ll pay your bills, you can get advice from the Money Talk Team.

The adviser will check whether you:

  • are getting as much income as you possibly could
  • could pay out less each month.

You can find more information about how to get advice on the Money Talk Team website.

Defined contribution pensions

 You can get advice from Pension Wise by phone or in person if you:

It's a free and impartial government service about the different ways you can take money from your pension. 

You can book a free appointment: 

You can also read our online advice on pensions, including the state pension.

NHS complaints in Scotland

You can contact the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) for advice and support on 0800 917 2127, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Get more help with NHS complaints on the PASS website

Members of the armed services, veterans and their families

Get advice from the Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) if you're:

  • serving or a veteran - in the Armed Forces, Regular or Reserve
  • a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations
  • a family member.

You can get advice about issues like housing, benefits and debt. 

Find out how to contact the Armed Services Advice Project on the ASAP website.

Settling in Scotland 

Scotland's Migration Service gives information and advice to help people settle in Scotland. 

You can get advice from Scotland's Migration Service if you: 

  • have moved to Scotland within the past 6 months 
  • are an  international student in your final year at a Scottish university or college who would like to stay in Scotland after graduating. 

Find advice online on Scotland's Migration Service website

If you need more support, you can book an online or phone appointment with an adviser from a Citizens Advice Bureau. Find out how to book a appointment on Scotland's Migration Service website. 

Other organisations that give advice

These are some of the other organisation that give advice on:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.