Return faulty goods

This advice applies to Scotland. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Wales

If something’s gone wrong with an item you’ve bought, you might be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

If you have a problem with a used car, you might have a legal right to a repair or your money back. You can find out what to do if you have a problem with a used car.

It doesn't matter if you bought the item new or secondhand - you'll still have rights.

You’ll have legal rights if the item you bought is:

  • broken or damaged - this is known as not of satisfactory quality

  • unusable - this is known as not fit for purpose

  • not what was advertised or doesn’t match the seller’s description

You won’t have any legal rights if either:

  • it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse

  • you knew about the fault before you bought the item

If there's nothing wrong with the item but you've changed your mind, you might be able to return it if you act quickly. Check your rights if you've just changed your mind about something you’ve bought.

Start the online tool