Rent arrears and other debts in student housing

This advice applies to Scotland. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Wales

You might not be able to graduate or progress to the next year of your course if you owe money to your university of college.

What kind of debt

You could owe:

  • rent

  • cost of repairs done because of damage

  • library fines

  • car parking tickets for the campus.

If you are prevented from graduating or progressing to the next year because of these debts you should try to negotiate with the accommodation provider.

These sorts of rules are likely to be set out in disciplinary procedures or codes. Check yours to make sure you know what will happen if you fail to pay or what charges you might get.

Further help

If you need more support for rent arrears and other debts, there are organisations that can help you.

National Association of Student Money Advisers

If you're having difficulty paying your rent, the National Association of Student Money Advisers (NASMA) has student money advisers in institutions throughout the UK.

You can find useful information on the NASMA website.

Young Scot Lawline

Young Scot Lawline is a free, confidential helpline available to anyone aged 11-25. It’s open 24-hours a day and offers legal advice on any legal problem, including debt. 

Young Scot Lawline

Tel: 0808 801 0801 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)