Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Get help if you're being evicted

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

Check if this advice applies to you

This advice applies if you have an occupation contract with a private landlord.

If you have an occupation contract, your landlord should have given you a written statement. Check your written statement - it will say that you have an occupation contract.

Even if you don’t have a written statement, you’ll still usually have an occupation contract if you:

  • don’t live with your landlord
  • started renting on or after 15 January 1989

If you’re not sure, or you have a different kind of agreement with a private landlord, check your contract or tenancy type if you rent from a private landlord.

If you’re about to be evicted from your home, you might be able to get help from your local council.

You can only be evicted if your landlord has followed the proper steps.

They must:

  1. Give you a valid eviction notice
  2. Get a possession order from court if you haven’t left by the date on the notice
  3. Apply to the court for a warrant of possession if you haven’t left by the date on the possession order

If the court issues a warrant of possession, bailiffs can make you leave your home. They’ll give you 14 days’ notice to move out.

If your landlord hasn’t gone to court yet, it’s worth checking your notice first to make sure it’s valid.

If your notice isn't valid, you might be able to challenge the eviction and stay in your home.

If your notice is on a form with 'RHW' at the top you can check what to do if you get an RHW form.

If you got a notice before 1 December 2022, it should be either a ‘section 21’ or ‘section 8’ notice. It’s worth checking your section 21 notice or checking your section 8 notice first to make sure it’s valid.

Check if you're being discriminated against

You might be able to challenge your eviction if your landlord has discriminated against you, for example if they're evicting you:

  • because of who you are
  • in a way that’s more difficult for you compared with other people
  • for a reason that's connected to your disability
  • because you complained about discrimination before

If any of these apply to you, you should check if your housing problem is discrimination.

Check if you can get extra money to find somewhere to live

You might be able to get extra money if you need help finding somewhere to live.

Check if you can get:

  • Housing Benefit or Universal Credit - read more information on who can apply
  • a loan to help pay for a deposit or help from a local welfare scheme - you’ll need to ask your local council
  • a discretionary housing payment (DHP) - you can ask your local council for a DHP claim form

You can find your local council on GOV.UK.

Make sure you get your deposit back

Don’t forget to get your rent deposit back from your landlord after you move out. Find out more about getting your deposit back.

Get help if you're homeless

You should check if you can get homeless help from the council.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?

Dywedwch fwy wrthym am pam nad oedd ein cyngor yn helpu.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.